Crochet tea cosies, turtles, and relearning to knit European style

The short, grey days are getting to me a bit at the moment, so although I’ve had quite a productive week, I don’t have much to say. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

My stripy blanket (tutorial by notyouraveragecrochet found here) is making steady progress. I’m on row 26. I would have been a lot further along but I had trouble ending up with the right number of stitches after doing the two rows that made up the star stitch stripe (the lime green stripe between the purple and the red). I got there in the end though, and got a lot of practice with a new stitch!

Stripy crochet blanket work in progress. 26 rows and counting!

Stripy crochet blanket work in progress. 26 rows and counting!

I have another stall booked at the Briar Patch Craft Fair in Eastbourne on the 1st February, so I’ve been trying to make something every day to sell. I made a couple more cupcake keyrings and a turtle too.

SONY DSCSONY DSC

ย

I wanted to make something just using what yarn I had in my stash (and hopefully make a bit of a dent in it!) so I made a couple of tea cosies that I hope will go down well at the craft fair.

The first one is a riot of brightly coloured novelty yarn.

SONY DSC

But the second one is my favourite of the two, and it’s supposed to look as if it has a sprig of cherry blossom on it.

SONY DSCI think they are both quite cheerful and spring-like in their own ways, but I love that cherry blossom!

SONY DSC

And finally… I’ve been teaching myself to knit European style (ie holding the yarn in the left hand instead of the right). Like most people I learned how to knit with the yarn in my right hand, but I was never a very fast knitter – it was one of the reasons I took to the hook! My sister K knits European style, and makes it look so easy, so when I started getting cramped fingers from all the crocheting I’ve been doing recently, I decided to give knitting another go just for some variety.

I’ve been making 12 inch squares in Stylecraft Weekender super Chunky yarn with some 10mm knitting needles I got free with a knitting magazine at Tescos. They knit up nice and quick and I should have a cosy little blanket in no time!

I love the soft, snuggly feel of the Stylecraft Weekender yarn, but the colours are quite muted. I'd love to see some bolder shades!

I love the soft, snuggly feel of the Stylecraft Weekender yarn, but the colours are quite muted. I’d love to see some bolder shades!

Don’t forget to look in on Handmade Monday at Handmade Harbour!

11 thoughts on “Crochet tea cosies, turtles, and relearning to knit European style

1. Mecki says:

It’s the riot cosy for me – maybe because i’m a bit of a rebel ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I am from Europe, learnt to knit with yarn held in my left hand. My mum knitted with yarn over her right hand, said that it was better for an even finish. Her knitting was so even, you would have thought it had been done by machine. So maybe not worth switching …

• bamcrafts979 says:

I know what you mean about getting an even finish, my first few squares were a bit of a mess! What appeals to me about the European method is the economy of movement involved. My sister K has got it down to a fine art – barely more than a twitch of her fingers! She knits beautifully, everything from socks, intricate cabling to lacework shawls, but what I really envy is that she can knit whilst hardly even looking at what she’s doing. A couple of years ago we went to London Film and Comic Con together (yes, we’re both geeks) and she was wandering round chatting to people, looking at stalls whilst knitting a sock at the same time! Actually I think she did most of a pair of socks that weekend. I’d love to be able to do that, knit a pair of socks without looking, just barely a twitch of my fingers. Oh well, maybe with lots of practice!

2. Lucy Blossom says:

Your crochet blanket is amazing, so bright and cheerful. Good luck with your fair in February, I’m sure people will love your little keyrings and tea cosies too (I really love the cherry blossom one)

• bamcrafts979 says:

Thanks! All credit for the stripy blanket should go to Hannah Davis at notyouraveragecrochet.com for writing such an awesome pattern though. There are some great pictures on her blog of other people’s blankets made to this pattern.

3. A Patchwork Life says:

Oh my goodness I love all your things! That blanket is just gorgeous and the keyrings are so sweet – think my favourite cosy is the blossom one. Really impressed you’re going European – I’m not the best knitter, but don’t think I could face changing style!

• bamcrafts979 says:

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚ It helps that I’ve had a bit of a break from knitting which I think makes it easier to form new habits. The purl stitch was a bit trickier to master but I’m getting there!