Last week was a bit of a blur. First the deadline for the Hillarys Blinds Country Craft Competition (which I only just met!), then a flurry of activity to get ready for the Easter Briar Patch Craft Fair, then the fair itself on Saturday, and through it all I was still struggling to fight off a nasty gum infection. But despite how grotty I’ve been feeling physically, it’s still been a good week, and I did get round to finishing a lot of half-finished and (barely started!) projects.
Firstly there were the plate full of fabric flowers that I made with my kanzashi flower maker, remember those?
Well, I finally got out my trusty glue gun and attached them to some picture frames that I had spray painted a few weeks back. The frames all came from charity shops and cost less than a pound each. The paint job wasn’t brilliant but I was going for quirky rather than perfection, and using two different colours of paint gave a really striking effect that perhaps doesn’t show up that well in the photos. I used some wrapping paper inside the frames so that they weren’t let down by the drab brown rectangles showing through. It just made them look a bit more finished.
Next up on my to finish list were these:
I’d had the little mirrors for months and I’d had various ideas as to what I was going to use them for, but it all came together when I picked up a bag of mismatched wooden curtain rings that were reduced to 99p. It took no time to hook up some little covers with my Lilys Sugar n Cream yarn. I glued on the mirrors, added a little ribbon and lace and glued a magnet on the back of each one and voilà! They can either be used as fridge magnets or be hung up by their little gingham ribbons.
A couple of weeks ago a got a real bargain in a(nother) charity shop: a Super Badge It badge maker for only £3! Predictably all the badges that came with it when new had already been made, but I soon found a refill pack online containing enough blanks to make 30 badges for less than £8! The great thing about these badge makers is that you don’t have to use paper or card for your designs, you can use fabric instead. So instead of printed badges I glued magnets to the back and used scraps of embroidered fabric and fancy trimmings for the front.
Not bad for a first attempt, but I think I need to break out my jars of broken jewellery so I can embellish them further.
As for the Easter stuff…
…there were more polystyrene eggs…
… and little crochet hens with cream eggs inside.
Honestly, anything egg shaped just makes me want to scream and punch things now. And I still haven’t used up all of those stupid polystyrene eggs I bought! I’m sick of Easter already and it hasn’t happened yet!
At least I did have a spring-like and Eastery stall at the craft fair.
Sales weren’t brilliant but it was all good fun and I signed up for another fair which will be in the Albany (Lions) Hotel on Eastbourne seafront on Easter Monday, which has the potential for a lot more foot traffic. Fingers crossed for some good weather!
I have another fair booked for Saturday 3rd May, the Brighton Craft Fair which is held at the Friends Meeting House on Ship Street in the Lanes. This is a monthly event that gets booked up quite quickly, and I had to send them pictures of my work to be vetted as a new stall holder, which was a bit nerve racking! Luckily they were happy with the pictures and I’m in! I had a look at the stalls exhibiting at their March fair and I was very impressed with the standard of work and the way everything was displayed. Everyone seemed to have a less-is-more approach to the way their stalls were presented compared to BriarPatch, so I need to give some careful thought as to how I present things.
The day after the BriarPatch fair I pretty much just crashed. It really takes a lot out of me just to be sitting behind the stall all day, never mind the setting up and packing away. This time it was made that much worse by the lingering gum infection that I’ve been fighting off for weeks. So since the fair I’ve tried to rest up and not worry about deadlines so much (which is why this blog entry is going up on Wednesday not Monday!)
Of course I couldn’t just put my feet up and do nothing, so I set myself a challenge: to make all 50 flowers and leaves from Claire Crompton’s book 200 Crochet Flowers, Embellishments & Trims. Oh, and teach myself how to do Tunisian crochet.
And guess what?
Totally nailed it.
Here is Meredith posing next to my Tunisian crochet:
I didn’t have the heart to turf Meredith off the sofa just so I could take my photos. She was being unusually calm and well behaved, so naturally I took advantage!
I know you lot are suckers for cat pictures. 🙂
Funny how my idea of taking it easy for a few days still looks an awful lot like loads of frantic crocheting! I am feeling less tired and stressed though, so I must be doing something right. I’m trying not to dwell on the fact that there is less than a week to go until they announce the winner of the Hillarys Blinds Craft Competition. They are going to post it on hillarys.co.uk and although I don’t think I really have much chance of winning (I Googled the competition – depressingly good) I can’t wait to see who has won, and to see all the other entries. There is talk of a Pintrest board with all the entries on, which I would love to see.
I have another trip to the dentist tomorrow 😦 but hopefully once that’s out of the way I can get going on some of the things friends and family have commissioned me to make, and then maybe I’ll take a deep breath and have a crack at that skirt I’ve been threatening to make for the last six months