In the week before Christmas, and only three days before I was due to see one of my best friends I realised I had yet to make a present for her little boy. To make matters worse, it was his 3rd birthday recently so it had better be something good! I knew one of his latest little obsessions was the cartoon Mike the Knight, which featured a dragon, so all I had to do was find a suitable pattern.
It wasn’t quite as straight forward as I hoped. The patterns on Ravelry were either gloriously complicated, too simple, too big, too small, too pokemon-y or just not quite what I had in mind. I definitely wanted a friendly looking, fat bottomed dragon with spines down its back, and it had to have wings and horns, but nothing was quite right.
Then I had the brainwave of looking through the patterns for dinosaurs, and came up with the Jurassic Cute Dinosaur pattern by Becky Garrett. There wasn’t a direct link or download for the pattern, but it was featured in issue 21 of Simply Crochet magazine… and I have issue 21 of Simply Crochet magazine!
All I had to do was improvise a few extra features and the dino became a dragon!
To make his face look more dragon-like I gave him big nostrils (for breathing fire, obviously!), yellow cats eyes (which look very serpent-like) and the horns were just little tubes of double crochet pulled tight at one end.
The spines down the back were a part of the original dino design, but I made a larger version in red to be the arrow-like point at the end of his tail. For his wings I made a larger version of the ones from the Cthulhu pattern I used for my brother’s present, adding reinforcement at the top edge to make it a bit firmer.
He definitely turned out to be the fat bottomed dragon I had in mind! The addition of half a sock full of plastic pellets ensures he sits up nicely, and he certainly is a sturdy dragon, just right for a sturdy little boy!
The original dinosaur pattern was very well written, and I particularly love the shape of the head and face! I did play about with some of the proportions of the body and limbs, in particular the arms which would have been far too small. I also worked it all in Stylecraft Special Aran, instead of DK. Over all, it was a bit of a wrench to give him away, but well worth it.
And I did make the deadline on time… only to have to change our plans at the last minute! At least I had more time to appreciate him before he went home with a certain happy little boy on Saturday. (Disclaimer: the happiness was probably due in part to the bag of jelly beans I also gave him!)
Obviously I have appalling time management skills, so it was no surprise that I was still working on nieceling no 3’s present on Boxing Day! I did get it finished in time for when I saw her on the 27th, and here it is!
I used a free pattern Amigurumi Holiday Penguin from Lion Brand yarn, with only very minor changes (I didn’t stuff the wings, feet or beak, and I made a longer scarf and added tassels because theirs looked a bit mean). It is a nuisance having to log in to the Lion Brand site to get access to their free patterns, but its worth the minor inconvenience. I didn’t use Lion Brand Yarn though, opting for… yup, you guessed it, Stylecraft Special Aran!
Nieceling no 3 was delighted with her penguin, by the way, but ultimately it lost its fascination pretty quickly in the face of her Frozen magic wand (a snow globe on a stick that plays a few bars of Let It Go whilst being alarmingly similar to a mace that a less gentle child could smash things with!) I did wonder (for the millionth time) whether I should have crocheted her an Olaf instead, but maybe next time!
Okay, so that’s all the Christmas amigurumi finished, just a couple of knitted presents left to show you, plus a few other odds and ends. I might even show off some of the cool things I was lucky to be given for Christmas (hint: knitting and crochet books feature heavily!)
Hope you are all enjoying the new year!